[Dyson-devel] The installer

Jason Upton wavejumper00 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 19:26:27 MSK 2013

Below are the steps I had documented when getting it running in ESXi.

Thanks again for your help.  This will allow me to do more testing, etc.
 Hopefully other ESXi users may benefit and test it as well.

Jason

#On some other existing machine:
#get on-closed bins from:
#http://dlc.sun.com/osol/on/downloads/nightly-bins/
#I downloaded file:
#on-closed-bins-latest.i386.tar.bz2

#extract contents:
tar xfj on-closed-bins-latest.i386.tar.bz2
#create mpt-only tar file to save space (to fit in dyson install ramdisk
area):
tar cf for_dyson_install.tar `find closed -name "*mpt*"`

#On ESXi server:
#create VM, boot from iso, but don't try to install yet.
#press F2 to get to console screen when installer starts

#copy mpt tar file and extract it:
scp user at other_machine:for_dyson_install.tar .
tar xf for_dyson_install.tar

#copy driver files into place:
cp closed/root_i386/kernel/drv/amd64/mpt /kernel/drv/amd64
cp closed/root_i386/kernel/drv/mpt.conf /kernel/drv

#get driver tools so the driver can be added to the running kernel:
apt-get download drvtools
dpkg-deb -x drvtools_2.10-1_illumos-amd64.deb .

#load the driver:
./usr/sbin/modload /kernel/drv/amd64/mpt

#check to make sure it loaded ok:
./usr/sbin/modinfo | grep mpt

#run devfsadm to add disks to the system
devfsadm

#make sure disks are seen by format command (and then quit):
format

#now run installer in F1 screen, but stop before installing grub to MBR

#copy drivers to temp install directory (which has randomized suffix):
export INSTDIR=`ls -d /tmp/install-*`
cp /kernel/drv/amd64/mpt $INSTDIR/kernel/drv/amd64/
cp /kernel/drv/mpt.conf $INSTDIR/kernel/drv

#update the boot archive so the drivers are included:
bootadm update-archive -R $INSTDIR

#now go back to F1 screen, install grub to MBR and reboot the VM